Tired of every day orange juice? Try dragon fruit. You will have fun handling a beautiful, colorful, soft and tasty fruit. You just need a spoon to scoop out and eat. Virgin or alcoholic, this sweet drink doesn’t need any sugar or sour mix. Don’t sacrifice cocktails for your diet. Go all natural this game night.
Native to Mexico – Dragon fruit popularly is known a Pitaya. It is actually cacti. It is now grown in South asian regions as Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia etc. Dragon fruit is named appropriately. Skin resembles dragon scales. This colorful fruit also has many surprising benefits.
Dragon fruit tastes sweet. Seeds are embedded in fruit. It is consumed after removing soft, scaly skin. Fruit goes excellent in salads, smoothies, desserts and drinks.
This fruit has an amazing superpower that helps decrease bad cholesterol levels and replenish good levels. Dragon fruit is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, helping the heart stay in great condition.
High fiber in dragon fruit cleans up your digestive system. Fiber helps with poor digestion and constipation. Also regulates diabetes. Eating the flesh and seeds, which contain good protein, will keep your body fortified and satisfied.
Rich in vitamin C, this fruit becomes a great topical ointment. Dragon fruit with cucumber juice and honey, you can create a compound much like aloe that can soothe burned skin.
- 1 - dragon fruit
- ¼th cup - fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp - fresh squeezed lime or lemon juice
- ¼th cup - vodka if making alcoholic
- ½ cup - ginger ale if making virgin
- 1 tsp - brown sugar. Use only if fruit is not enough sweet
- Remove dragon fruit skin and dice.
- Place dragon fruit in grinder. Pulse to make juice. Do not grind on high speed. Otherwise seeds are ground to powder. We don't want that to happen. Taste to see if juice is sweet enough. Add lime or lemon juice, water. Pulse to mix well.
- Place mint in a thick bottomed glass. Add brown sugar if necessary.
- Muddling is the process of gently pressing to release flavor from herbs. You can use stone or wood or plastic or steel or rubber muddler. What ever you have at your home will work. A thin rolling pin will do too.
- Gently muddle mint leaves to release flavor and aroma.
- Add dragon fruit juice. Add vodka or ginger ale depending on your choice.
- Serve with your favorite snacks.