You may be most familiar with the red beet, but beets come in a two colors. One is orange, and is known as the golden beet. The difference between the red and the orange beet is the pigment. Red beets are rich in betalain pigment while orange beets are rich in b-xanthin pigment. You’ll gain a number of health benefits if you include the orange beet in your diet. Golden beets are a little on the sweeter side in compared to red beets.
Fruits and vegetables from golden-yellow color spectrum contain high levels of vitamins and minerals as vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, potassium, lycopene, flavonoids, and zeaxanthin.
Gold beets are available year-round with a peak season during the autumn months. Steaming and roasting bring out the best flavor that the beet can offer. It is easy to peel skin if steamed. It simply slips away from its flesh.
There are many ways to enjoy beets. Grate them raw on salads. Steam and sauté, yummy, low sugar desserts.
Beet leaves are edible. Select beet greens that have fresh-looking beet roots attached. I buy beets with greens. Greens and beets stay for long if purchased like this. I cook greens and beets separately. Dark green leafy vegetables prevent and treat hypertension (high blood pressure) and heart disease.
See this great video why hearths shouldn’t skip a beet. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/hearts-shouldnt-skip-a-beet/
- 5 - golden beets
- 5-7 spring onion
- 2 tbsp - oil
- ¼th tsp - cumin
- ⅛th tsp- mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- 5 green chillies
- ¼th tsp - fresh coriander seed powder
- Fresh cilantro.
- If golden beets are not same size, cut into almost equal sizes.
- Steam them in a pressure cooker or in a pot filled with water. Add salt to water.
- Cook them till they are soft. In pressure cooker, you can let till 3 whistles.
- Let them cool and dice.
- In a pan, heat oil to medium.
- Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add cumin. Cook till golden brown.
- Add chillies, curry leaves and spring onion.
- Cook for few minutes. Add diced golden beets.
- Add salt and stir. Cook for few minutes. Add coriander seed powder. Stir.
- Turn off stove.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with rice or roti.