The jackfruit is believed indigenous to the rain forests of the Western Ghats of India. Jackfruit is consumed as vegetable when young, as fruit when ripe. Jackfruit is rich in nutrients including carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins and minerals. Jackfruit flesh and seeds are consumed. Seeds are boiled, spiced up, ate as snack or curry.
Jackfruit is my favorite vegetable and fruit. The jackfruit is a gigantic, spined, oval vegetable that have been first cultivated in Indian rainforests. It is mostly grown in tropical or close to tropical climates. It mostly found in many parts of India, as well as in most of Southeast Asia. In certain parts of India, huge jackfruit is sliced up and sold raw. It has such a unique texture and flavor, you will either love it or hate it.
The seeds can be boiled or roasted and taste like chestnuts. Jackfruit is commonly available in most Asian markets. It is very straightforward with a good, not quite crispy surface, and the gentle taste of pineapple and a slightly characteristic musky in taste.
Huge and thorny on the outside, Jackfruit is the “porcupine” of the vegetable world. Once a jackfruit is cracked open, what you will find inside are pods or “bulb”. Regularly referred to as seeds, these bulbs are actually, kinds of fleshy covering over the true seeds or pits, which are round and dark like chesnuts. The fleshy part can be eaten, or cut up and cooked. When immature, it is amazingly similar in grain to chicken, making jackfruit is an excellent vegetarian substitute for meat. In fact, jackfruit is sometimes referred to as “vegetable meat”.
HOW DO YOU PREPARE JACKFRUIT?
To get best taste, texture and nutrients, I use fresh jackfruit. Yes it is not available all the seasons. I cook when available. Recipe starts with cutting raw jackfruit into 6-8 inch pieces along with skin, boiling them. Once cooled down, it is easy to cut the skin.
After boiling for around 15 mins, let it cool. Remove skin, separate seeds. Then chop the meat and use to cook.
- 2 cups - Fresh young unripe or green Jackfruit
- 3 tbsp healthy oil as coconut oil
- 1 big Onion
- 1 bunch - Spring Onion - optional
- ½ cup - fresh Curd/Yogurt. Replace with almond or coconut milk if vegan.
- 5 - Green chillies
- ¼ tsp - Cumin
- ½ tbsp - Chilli powder
- 1 tsp.- coriander powder
- 4 Sprigs - Fresh Cilantro
- Cut jackfruit into quarters.
- Boil water. Place cut jackfruit quarters in water. Cook for 10 mins or till soft.
- Turn off stove. Remove jack fruit from water. Let them cool.
- When jackfruit cools down, cut and discard skin. Remove and discard seeds.
- You can use remaining meat. Cut meat into small (approx 1 inch) pieces.
- In a pot, add oil, heat to medium.
- Add cumin seeds, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add green chillies, onion cubes. Cook till transparent.
- Now add jackfruit meat. Stir. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add salt, chill powder, coriander powder.
- Close lid, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add yogurt, stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- When done, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with rice, quinoa or roti.