Yet another delicacy and an absolute Vegans and vegetarians heaven. Farmer’s market and local markets carry far more varieties of veggies than you think. Some are rarely found veggies. Lotus root one of them. It is found abundantly in summers. If you find one, don’t miss it. Lotus root is a versatile vegetable. You can make an appetizer, veggie taco, veggie bowl, sauté or curry out of lotus root. Vegetables or Chicken simmered in gravy with spices is most commonly known Indian dish for westerners. This time, cook with a twist by adding lotus root. Adopt ancient Indian clean recipes. Indian cuisine offers many dishes than just naan and chicken butter masala what Indian restaurants offer. There are many vegan, vegetarian curries made with vivid ingredients giving you a change in taste every day.
Vegan lifestyle getting more attention these days. More and more people started believing in vegan in predominantly meat-eating countries for health reasons or to reduce animal cruelty. With so much popularity, now is a good time to be vegan. Lotus root fry is a vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and paleo delicacy to start with. More n more meatless options. Nothing to worry about if you are thinking to be a vegan.
Just as visually appealing is the stunning looking flower, is root with holes. It’s a popular flower and vegetable throughout Asia. It is nothing but Lotus root. Lotus young flower, root, flower stalks and seeds are edible. Petals are used to make tea in China. Seeds are called makhane in India. Kheer and curries are made out of makhane. Just like its appealing looks, Lotus root is luxuriously delectable and healthy. Impress your date, family or guests with this stunning-looking, yet heavenly delicious vegetable. Lotus root called as tamara veru in Telugu, kamal kakdi in Hindi, Thaamari thandu in Tamil.
WHERE CAN WE FIND LOTUS ROOT?
Farmers market, local markets, flea markets are places you can find fresh lotus root. Canned should be available thru out the year. For maximum nutrients and fresh taste, use fresh lotus root.
IS LOTUS ROOT HEALTHY?
Lotus root is full of fiber, minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. In Asia, it is believed to have medicinal qualities such as detoxifying liver and kidney. Lotus root is used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine. It is said to decrease the size of enlarged livers and lowering the number of fats stored in the liver. In certain areas of Asia Lotus root used to cure diabetes, inflammation, infections and liver damage.
HOW TO COOK LOTUS ROOT?
Separate or cut attached roots. Cut edges, peel the skin and slice into about 1/2 cm thick. If the root is young, you don’t have to steam. If the root is old, steam in boiling water until soft. You can check if you need steaming by pressing and bending root slices. If they are soft and breaks off when you bend, you don’t need to steam.
Raw lotus root is oval. Many oval-shaped roots are attached to each other into a long string. Do not miss if you find a fresh one. Fresh root obviously is the best choice compared to canned or frozen. Light peach colored one is young. Young ones are usually around 3 inches. Large, brown is older root. Young ones are best to cook. You can eat young ones raw.
- About 10 - Lotus root slices
- 1 medium size - onion
- 2 - carrots - optional
- 3 tbsp - poppy seeds. I used blue poppy seeds. You can use regular white ones.
- 5 - green small Thai chilies or any other chilies
- Pink Himalayan salt or any other salt
- 3 tbsp - healthy oil as coconut oil
- ½ tsp - cumin/jeera
- ¼th tsp - turmeric powder
- ½ tsp - chili powder - optional if you want it spicy
- ½ tsp - coriander powder - optional
- Peel lotus root. Slice them into ¼th" thick or less. Check if lotus root is tender by bending. If it easily bends or breaks, then it is tender. If it is aged root, boil them in water until you can insert fork or toothpick.
- Grind poppy seeds first to a fine powder in a small grinder. Then add onion, green chilies.
- Add oil to a pot. Heat to medium-high.
- Add cumin. Cook till brown.
- Now add ground onion mixture. Add water if needed. Make it watery consistency.
- Reduce heat to medium. Close lid and cook for 30 mins. Stir every 4-5 minutes. Make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add salt, chili powder, coriander powder. Cook for another 15 mins. By now, oil should float on the top. When oil floats, turn off.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.