Immerse in the joy of discovering a new, delicious vegetable. Kohlrabi is not a prominent vegetable in-house hold cooking. It is often overlooked in market. If you explore kohlrabi, you ll quickly realize the refreshing sweetness, delicious complex taste. It’s time for kohlrabi to make more prominent place in your cooking.
Kohlrabi is bulb with attached bundle of greens. Both bulb and leaves are edible. Bulb is soft as radish, and has sweetness of bottle guard. I spotted Kohlrabi at grocery store and local farmers market many times and I wondered what the odd-looking vegetable was. I finally decided one day to give it a try. I realized, how versatile and appetizing it is. Kohlrabi can safely be replaced in any recipe where it calls for potato, radish, bottle guard, ridge guard (turai), cabbage, broccoli etc. Here is an easy way to cook the underrated vegetable.
How to use kohlrabi:
Recipe is here but how to choose kohlrabi? Buy young and small bulb leaves attached. Kohlrabi is usually 3-5 inches in diameter. A soft 3 inch one is best one to buy. Don’t miss if you see young kohlrabi with greens attached. They are best vegetables to sauté, stir fry or braise. I used homemade spice powder that is published at ujwalasdelicacies.com. You can make this powder ahead. You can store it for months.
- 3-4 young green kohlrabi
- 1 onion
- 5 green or red chillies (Optional if you want to make it spicy)
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 5-10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp healthy oil as olive or coconut oil
- 1½ tsp ujwala's delciacies spice powder (http://www.ujwalasdelicacies.com/multipurpose-vegan-gluten-free-spice-powder/)
- ½ bunch cilantro
- If kohlrabi is young, you can braise. If they are not young, dice and steam them till a bit soft.
- Dice young kohlrabi, onion.
- Add oil to a pot. Heat to medium.
- Add red chillies if you choose to add. Fry till golden brown.
- Add mustard seeds. Fry till they splutter.
- Add cumin. Fry till golden brown.
- Add green chillies if you choose to add. Add onions. Fry till soft.
- Add diced kohlrabi, curry leaves. Close lid and cook till soft. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle 1½ tsp ujwala's delciacies spice powder. Stir well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Serve with quinoa or cooked cracked wheat or wheat tortillas