Sautéed carrots are perfect if you’re looking for a great vegetable that’s easy to make, healthy, and delicious. In western world carrot sauté is a side, but it makes a great entrée with rice, roti or tortillas. Carrots are fairly inexpensive which makes this dish most economical. This time of year farmers markets are bursting with greens, vibrant veggies and fruits. Many of the vegetables in season also come with their own greens– beets, turnips, carrots etc. Carrots healthy – sautéing is a cooking method that preserves a lot of the carrots’ nutrients, so that each bite is even better for you! With a side of brown or wild rice, this dish becomes a wildly healthy dish.
Cooking carrots will bring out their natural sweetness. One of the ingredient that makes sautéed carrots so great is the coconut. When you cook carrots with onion and spices coated with coconut, enhances their natural sweetness and giving them a much richer flavor. If you find carrot with greens, don’t throw them away! Carrot greens make excellent sauté. Carrots are available all year round in food stores but fresh crop comes in cool weather.
Do not peel skin. Simply scrape off with a butter knife or regular knife. Carrots have thin skin, peeling removes key nutrients. Be sure to cut the pieces to the same size to cook evenly.
- 5 carrots
- 3-4 Red or green chillies
- 1 small red onion (white onions makes dish sweeter)
- 2 tbsp - your favorite oil. I used coconut oil.
- ½ tsp - cumin
- ½ tsp - small black mustard seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp - turmeric powder
- ½ tsp - chilli powder
- ¼ tsp - fresh coriander powder (optional)
- ½ cup - fresh grated coconut
- 1 sprig - curry leaves
- 1 sprig - cilantro
- pink himalayan salt or regular salt
- ½ cup water
- Simply scrape carrot skin. Peeling takes out a lot of nutrition.
- Dice carrots into equal size pieces.
- Pour little water in a pot and boil. Don't add too much water as you have to discard water after cooking. This takes nutrients away. Add half of salt and carrots. Close lid and steam for 8-10 minutes till little soft. Do not over cook till too soft. Turn off.
- Meanwhile, Add oil to a pot. Heat to medium high.
- Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add cumin. cook till golden brown.
- Add chillies, onion. Cook till translucent.
- Add turmeric and curry leaves. Stir.
- Add steamed carrots. Add salt. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and coconut. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes. Turn off.
- Garnish with coriander. Serve hot with brown rice or quinoa or wild rice.