Banana leaf has a lot of culinary significance in South India. Cooks in every household, restaurants use banana leaves extensively in their kitchen. The leaves are not eaten by themselves but are used as natural disposable plates and food wrappers. In South India, traditionally food is served on banana leaf. It was common to use for serving food before plates were discovered, and when plates were not widely available. Food wrapped and cooked in banana leaves absorbs flavor and nutrients, making food lusciously aromatic and much healthier. A natural seasoning God gifted to us. Eco-friendly, all-natural, chemical free disposable serving plates and utensils. Precisely as someone said – A beautifully biodegradable table setting.
Banana leaf is digested slowly. By cooking food on a banana leaf, you get the nutrients which are hard to digest for humans if eaten as-is. The waxy waterproof coating on banana leaves gives the food a distinct taste. Banana leaves are also used in some Ayurvedic medicines. The manufactured plastic plates, aluminum trays can harm the environment. Banana leaves are eco-friendly to the environment. The antioxidants in banana leaf are said to fight cancer.
As you open up the banana leaf, you just can’t stop being impatiently greedy to eat the whole thing. Beware of catching ravenous syndrome. You may end up in fights. These small sized wraps are big in bursting flavor.
WHY EAT AND COOK IN BANANA LEAF?
- Provides great aroma
- Environment friendly
- 10 any type firm fish fillets cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp - healthy oil as coconut or olive oil
- 2 - fresh banana leaves
- 2 sprigs spring onion or red onion
- 1 bell pepper - optional
- 1 - 1½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp - home ground roasted coriander powder
- 1 tsp - ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp - lime or lemon juice
- 2 sprigs Cilantro
- Add ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp lemon juice for 10 minutes. Wash fish pieces. Drain well.
- Mix all ingredients except onion and bell pepper.
- Cut banana leaves into approximately 6-inch squares
- Place a fish piece in the banana square, top with onion and bell pepper. Wrap all sides and tie with baking twine.
- Repeat the process with all fish pieces.
- Place on a baking dish. Bake on 425f for 20-30 minutes.
- For even better flavor and aroma, bake for 15 minutes the day before or several hours before. Right before you are ready to eat, bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Place steaming hot parcels in a plate and Serve hot.
- Let the guests cut twain and open banana leaves. The aroma when they open up brings all the love inside towards you. Beware that they might get an urge to grab everyone's and eat right away.