Green and sweet chutneys are the most popular condiments in North India. In fact throughout India nowadays. Compliment an underflavored dish or a bland dish or a dry dish with these creamy chutneys and enjoy the full flavor. Though these chutneys are originated and are staple in North India, popularity is spreading to South India as well.
Green and Sweet/Tamarind chutneys are clean homemade condiments that can be complemented to many dishes. You could replace ketchup completely with these vegan chutneys. If you are looking for various condiment recipes to replace ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, start with these. They don’t taste like ketchup. But carry great taste, texture, flavor, health benefits and great satisfaction. Green chutney, made of mint and cilantro, is spicy, flavorful. Sweet chutney is made of tamarind, jaggery, optionally dates. It tastes sour, sweet, tangy and is very flavorful.
Green and sweet chutneys are vegan, vegetarian, paleo and gluten-free. An Indian vegetarian condiment. You can make it nut-free as well. Green chutney is a versatile recipe. Mint, cilantro, and chilies are common ingredients. To make it creamy, you can add peanuts, almonds, pomegranate seeds (anardaana) or sesame seeds to make it nut-free. Any additional ingredients you add, chutney is still Vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free.
In modern days Green and sweet chutneys are used in making sandwiches, burgers, kababs, omelets, vada pav which is a Mumbaians favorite sandwich… nothing is ineligible. Spicy, tangy, sweet, creamy texture whatever you need in your unflavored dish needs, these chutneys will give you. I even use green chutneys to marinate paneer grill, add leftover chutney to lentils to add great flavor, marinade meats. Marinated meats could be cooked to a chicken curry or grilled. Add to veggies and make your favorite Indian vegetable curry.
Green chutney is as easy as just grinding all ingredients together. Sweet chutney needs soaking tamarind for 15 mins and cooking for 15 mins. In 15 minutes, you are ready with an extremely flavorful condiment to make 101 dishes.
- Green Chutney
- 1 cup packed - cilantro (kothambir)
- ½ cup packed - mint
- 2 - green chilies
- ¼th ts sugar - optional
- 1 tbsp - peanuts or anardana (pomegranate seeds) - optional. Add peanuts to make chutney creamy
- Sweet Chutney
- ½ tsp oil
- 1 inch round fresh tamarind ball
- 5 dates or equal amount jaggery. Dates give a rich flavor.
- ¼th tsp - salt
- ¼th tsp - garam masala
- Green Chutney
- If using peanuts, roast peanuts till golden brown. Let them cool.
- Grind peanuts to powder in a grinder.
- Now add remaining ingredients. Grind to a paste. Add water as needed to make it chutney consistency.
- Remove to a bowl and use as needed.
- Sweet Chutney
- Soak tamarind for at-least 15 minutes.
- Squeeze tamarind juice. Add water if needed. It can be watery. Discard pulp.
- Heat oil and tamarind juice in a pot till it thickens.
- Meanwhile, grind dates with some water to make it paste.
- Add to tamarind juice. If not using dates, add jaggery. Add salt, garam masala.
- Add water if needed. Cook till it is chutney consistency.
- Turn off the stove and let it cool before using.