I absolutely enjoy cooking delicacies with new veggies every day. I shop at the farmers market and local markets for rarely found veggies. Lotus root fry is a versatile dish, that can be an appetizer or a side of the main course. I was in main course mood when I took this picture. You don’t need to make separate dishes for appetizer and main course. Let your family or guests choose depending on their mood. What a bumper offer. In Indian cuisine, spiced vegetables cooked without gravy is commonly consumed with rice. Those dry roasted veggies are also consumed with chutney on the side. Adopt ancient Indian clean recipes. Lotus root called as tamara veru in telugu, kamal kakdi in hindi, Thaamari thandu in tamil.
This is an absolute Vegans and vegetarians rejoice! Vegan lifestyle getting more attention. More and more people started believing in vegan in predominantly meat-eating countries for health reasons or to reduce cruelty. With so much popularity, now is a good time to be vegan. Lotus root fry is a vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and paleo delicacy to start with. More n more meatless options. Nothing to worry about if you are thinking to be a vegan.
Just as visually appealing is the stunning looking flower, is root with holes. It’s a popular flower and vegetable throughout Asia. It is nothing but Lotus root. Lotus young flower, root, flower stalks and seeds are edible. Petals are used to make tea in China. Seeds are called makhane in India. Kheer and curries are made out of makhane. Just like its appealing looks, Lotus root is luxuriously delectable and healthy. Impress your date, family or guests with this stunning-looking, yet heavenly delicious vegetable.
WHERE CAN WE FIND LOTUS ROOT?
Farmers market, local markets, flea markets are places you can find fresh lotus root. Canned should be available thru out the year. For maximum nutrients and fresh taste, use fresh lotus root.
IS LOTUS ROOT HEALTHY?
Lotus root is full of fiber, minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. In Asia, it is believed to have medicinal qualities such as detoxifying liver and kidney. Lotus root is used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine. It is said to decrease the size of enlarged livers and lowering the number of fats stored in the liver. In certain areas of Asia Lotus root used to cure diabetes, inflammation, infections and liver damage.
HOW TO COOK LOTUS ROOT?
Separate or cut attached roots. Cut edges, peel the skin and slice into about 1/2 cm thick. If the root is young, you don’t have to steam. If the root is old, steam in boiling water until soft. You can check if you need steaming by pressing and bending root slices. If they are soft and breaks off when you bend, you don’t need to steam.
Raw lotus root is oval. Many oval-shaped roots are attached to each other into a long string. Do not miss if you find a fresh one. Fresh root obviously is the best choice compared to canned or frozen. Light peach colored one is young. Young ones are usually around 3 inches. Large, brown is older root. Young ones are best to cook. You can eat young ones raw.
Embed from Getty Images
- About 10 - Lotus root slices
- 5 tbsp - besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1+ tsp - pink Himalayan salt. If you are using iodized salt, use little over ½ tsp.
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp - chili powder. Adjust the quantity based on your spice level
- 1 tsp - home ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp - fresh lime or lemon juice
- Cilantro to garnish
- Peel lotus root. Slice them into ¼th" thick or less. Check if lotus root is tender by bending. If it easily bends or breaks, then it is tender. If it is aged root, boil them in water until you can insert fork or toothpick.
- It is hard to say upfront how much besan you exactly need. It depends on how big roots are. I usually mix an approximate amount and mix more if I think I need more. Sometimes I have more, it doesn't hurt adding more besan mix.
- Mix all ingredients with besan. Add water and make it thick to semi-solid consistency. Not too thick or too watery.
- Mix lotus roots in besan mix. Let it rest for 5-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle.